Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Blogging at work

I am fortunate to have a work were I work with living history. I work at a small viking village which lay in the buttom af the large Ringkøbing Fjord in the western part of Jutland. The village is called Bork Viking Habour and have been an active museum since 2000. We have araound 45.000 guest during our season wich goes from 1. of April til the end of October. During the year we have many different activities and in Juli and August have many turist who visit our museum.

To see more pictures go to our Facebooksite or go the museums webpage for more info

I have been working there for 2 years now. We have been expanding a lot the last couple of years - new exhibition on brigdebuilding and water mills and a new wooden church. In Denmark we have archealogical finds from th 10 century of wooden churches and the great rune stone in Jelling tells us that King Harald Bluetoth made the danes christen around the year 960. 
This year we have finished a new Haithabu house. They are based on the great finds from Haithabu and we have had both volunteers and crafts men to work on the houses. 
The plan is to build two of this type of houses which we can offer to vikings in the summer time and for school classes during May, June and September. The house was startet i april 2010 and eventhough we still need to do some small things it is almost done. And that brings me to the center of why I wanted to make this post.

At the moment we have a archealology student living in the house - for 10 weeks. This projekt is part of here master thesis where she will write about living conditions in vikinge age houses and focus on light, smoke and such. It is a great project and along th 10 weeks there will be 27 different people living with here in the house. In the picture below you can se the first tema before they move in to the house. 
We are very excited at Bork to have such a research done on our new house and have therefor made a blog so that you can follow Jannie and the house online. 
The project is called "Mennesket og huset" and so is the blog. At the moment the texts is only in danish but I´m considering to make the english as well is a lot of foreign readers starts following the blog. So please let me know if you want an english text. 

/Louise

11 comments:

  1. Please do the translation to english! :) Altough I'm already learning danish, but it's not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a translation to English. It sounds fascinating, but I can't read Danish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures, it sure looks cold, the summer sun is shining here in New Zealand. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Softeathart: Before they lit the first fire in the house, the temperature was -10 degrees Celcius... inside the house. Makes me appreciate my radiator :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would follow this blog if it were in English. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! Please translate the blog. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mikkel!

    This sounds like a very cool project! I didn't know you worked at the museum.

    I can translate the "Mennesket og huset" blog with Google Chrome 's translate facility, and it makes very good reading (it is not a perfect translation, but good enough). No doubt poeple who don't have that help would like an English version - you could cheat and use Chrome to translate it for you - and you can probably spot some of the errors and correct them.

    All the best,

    Richard (flyingshavings)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Richard: It is my wife, and co-writer, who wrote the post. She works at at museum (Bork vikingehavn.

    But you are right about google translate. Translations from danish to english usually work relatively well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely wonderful! I love this so much. :-) My dad was born in Skringstrup, Denmark, and I have several relatives who live in Jutland. I hope to visit them next year and would love to visit this living history place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I would love to see this in English. I love your pictures and writing on your blog. Just found this site this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see the blog in English Although I used to work for a Danish Paper Manufacturer, we were never encouraged to learn Danish.

    ReplyDelete